Thursday, June 15, 2006

Speeding Night rides through Honduran mountains to a beautiful lakeside jobsite.......


My last day at the town of Copan Ruins, I was invited to stay with these two women who were teachers and doing a Spanish course here. They were really cool and accommodating. I left there at 5 am and caught a bus to Gracias, where I stayed the night and went to the hotsprings: a beautifully done system of pools of different temperatures. The following morning I left at 4:30 am and got a ride in the back of a pickup truck for two hours under the moonlight. It was probably the most beautiful ride of my trip. The terrain in Honduras is very mountainous and cold further up where I was with desert-pine trees mixed in with bananas, so you feel as though you are home in the states, maybe in the southwest, and then you see banana trees thrown in, so you get a neat feeling of nostalgia and mounting new adventure.

I made it to my destination at the Lago Yahoa (Yahoo Lake) where I have been for the last couple days. I have been offered a job here doing carpentry. I am very happy to be trading here because I am staying at a fantastic Bed and Breakfast with great food, and the guy who runs it, a guy from Oregon, is a brewmaster and makes all his own beers and sodas. They are the best drinks I've had on my trip, and the food is at least on par with the best I've had as well. So I am quite happy to get free food, great beer (6 varieties) and a place to stay with a pool pretty much free. One days work gives me two days here free. I wasn't planning on being here so long, but its a great deal and makes me happy so I cant pass it up. I will be working here tomorrow and then heading to Utilla for the scuba diving course. And maybe there I will update the pictures :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home